This year TEDx Thiruvananthapuram will take place on the 22nd of October at Infosys Campus, Kazhakootam.
With less than three days remaining, Infosys has been primed to host TEDx Thiruvananthapuram 2017. TEDx Conference: Technology, Entertainment and Design and ‘x’ denoting an independently organised event, devotes to Ideas worth spreading. TEDx Thiruvanathapuram is such an independently formulated TED event organised by procuring license from TED.
The event engages in stimulating discussions on relevant issues and seeks to promote a thoughtful community and initiating a positive change in the society. With 321 TEDx events spread across 74 countries in a month, TED talks have been gaining momentum at a rapid rate. Sapling Foundation, an American non-profit organisation triggered the idea in 1990. This is the second TEDx Thiruvanthapuram being organised after their success in 2016. The license for organising the local – level TEDx can be procured for free, nevertheless it could be sapping meeting the criteria. After attending the TED Global event in Geneva, Vishnu Prasad, CEO of Law Pundits LLP, decided to apply for a licence for organising the TEDX event in Thiruvananthapuram.
This year TEDx Thiruvananthapuram will take place on the 22nd of October at Infosys Campus, Kazhakootam. It is one of the few ‘Anchor’ event that has been launched by TED to develop the TEDx events in certain cities to spread inspiring ideas in the local community.
“Our speaker curation process is something that we focus on extensively. What we look for in a speaker is not just a famous name or a recognizable face. We select speakers who have a unique idea that is worth spreading and they have been working on that idea by virtue of their job, research or interest or a story that is very inspiring and the community in Kerala can benefit from.” says Bhakta Pande, curator, TEDx Thiruvananthapuram.
On the bill are 10 speakers who have been working with the team to curate talks and ideas relevant to the city.
- Padma Shri award winner Dr. Jose Periappuram, a leading Cardiac Surgeon who performed the first successful heart transplant in the state of Kerala.
- Saji Valasseril, a swimming coach who witnessed the Thekkady River accident in 2009 and has now dedicated his life to help children with disabilities swim even in the harshest of conditions.
- Dr. Bina Tharakan, Archaeologist and Heritage Consultant, responsible for hold the Heritage walks in the city of Thiruvananthapuram as a way of enlightening the people of the city about its lost heritage.
- Asha Jomis, a tech entrepreneur who supports woman empowerment and mentors start-ups.
- Dr. V P Gangadharan, a leading Oncologist in the State of Kerala and responsible for setting up affordable cancer care in many parts of the state.
- Unnikrishnan, popularly known as ‘Chess Unnikrishnan’, famous for ridding a village of alcoholism by teaching the people the ancient game of chess, a feat that was covered by the BBC.
- Prashant Nair, fondly known as ‘Collector Bro’, the ex-collector of Kozhikode, for uniting people and bringing about many positive changes in the administration.
- Rachel Thomas, the first female skydiver from India, known for completing more than 650 jumps and holding a record for performing one over the North Pole, was awarded the Padma Shri in 2009.
- Rima Kallingal, an Actor, Danseuse and Philanthropist, known for famous movies like 22 Female Kottayam, Nidra and Indian Rupee.
- Somanath S, Director of Liquid Propulsion Systems Centre, ISRO, known for contributing immensely to the development of the PSLV and GSLV Space Programs.
Vishnu Prasad, Bhakta Pande, Aravind ML, Hima Bindu Bhardwaj, Adarsh Mahadevan, Gautham Krishnan, and Rohan Giriraj, this team of 7 has been working passionately towards making this event a grand success.
Tickets and details are available on their website: www.tedxthiruvananthapuram.com